Shadow of couple with backs to each other

Child Support Enforcement Tampa Florida. One of the most important aspects of family law in Florida, whether you live in Tampa or any other part of the state, is that of enforcement and contempt. When there is a divorce, one parent is offered custody of the child while the other parent (non-custodial) will be asked to provide financial support to the parent in charge of the child. In cases where the non-custodial parent doesn’t agree to pay support, the custodial parent can seek the court’s help for enforcement of its orders.

Child support is a very important aspect of divorce laws and according to Florida laws, the judge can order the parent who is not complying to pay both attorney fees and costs involved in efforts to enforce child support orders. If you have not been paying child support, your licenses (driver and professional), and you could even end up in prison.

In order for a parent to enforce support, the parent should have an order for the same, signed by a judge. If he/she doesn’t have a support order approved by the court, a parent can file a petition for the same. During hearing, income proof and the child’s monetary needs should be brought to the court’s notice. In spite of having a support order, if the noncustodial partner does not offer help, a motion for contempt can be filed. Civil contempt is used to get the party to comply with the court order by coercion and not punishment.

If one of the parents has been held in contempt of the order for child support, the judge can help you collect your dues through a variety of means, including:

  • Setting up of a payment scheme for the noncustodial parent to implement


  • Withholding of the parent’s income checks
  • Intercepting refunds of tax if over $500 is owed by the noncustodial parent


  • Intercepting of lottery earnings of over $600
  • Taking money directly from the parent’s accounts if over $600 or child support of over four months needs to be given.


  • Selling vehicles of the defaulter if over $600 needs to be paid as child support
  • Claiming property of delinquent and ordering sale


  • Intercepting worker compensation owed to delinquent
  • Incarceration of the parent for up to a year till dues are paid


  • Revoking of passports if parent has fallen behind by over $2500


Relocation and child support

Even if one of the parents has relocated, it is possible to enforce child support. Moving out of state cannot be used as an excuse not to pay child support. Federal laws have it that even if one parent who has moved out of the state where the child support order was made, the other state cannot change the order if the other parent or the child for whom support had to be given continues to live in that state.

If, for some unexpected reason, a parent’s circumstances have changed substantially, it is best to seek a modification of a support order currently being enforced in court, rather than defaulting on payment.

If you have any questions about child support enforcement Tampa Florida or would like to speak to us about your options, please contact us at (813) 518-7411. We represent clients during stressful and difficult times in their lives. We are empathetic, responsive, and push for a quick resolution. We look forward to helping you resolve your issue quickly, fairly, and in a way that will help you to return to the stable, predictable life that you deserve.

Quick Contact

Fill out my online form.


Understanding both your rights and options are vital to a fair and equitable outcome. Lean on us. Use our expertise.